In Store

Monday 11 March 2019

40 Day Plastic-Free challenge: Day 6

40 Day Plastic-Free challenge: Day 6

A big thank you to my readers who are keeping up with my 40 day challenge. Do let me know if you have decided to replace anything plastic in your house with a more eco-friendly alternative. 

Tonight I cleared out the freezer and did one of those dinners using up odds and ends, You know the ones I mean. So we all had something different with oven chips and frozen veg - two things which come in large plastic bags! So, I can either give up the frozen chips, stick to home-made potato wedges or buy a deep fat fryer. What would you do? I'm thinking the home-made wedges but my fussy 8 year old may not agree!

As for the bags of frozen veg, which we use a lot of, I might have to do lots of bulk prepping and improve my kitchen knife skills which are, to be honest, non existent. But then again if we are eating healthier meals as a result then we may not need to freeze the vegetables as we would be getting through them a lot quicker. Therefore problem solved!

One item I really want to cut down on is the individually wrapped cereal /snack bar so I have made a round of cookies and flapjacks using what I had in the pantry..well cupboard. The peanut butter cookie recipe is from Hummingbird Bakery and are SO moreish. It is easy to freeze the cookie dough in balls and then bake as and when you need them..ahem no comment there.




As for the flapjacks I have yet to find the perfect recipe for eating on the go as they tend to be a bit too gooey. Today I used this one with cherries, chocolate chips and almonds from Globescoffers.com. Nice flavour combination I thought but it is a bit sticky. These can then be wrapped in beeswax wraps or paper instead of cling film or foil and popped in your lunch box for a healthy snack. (Later on I am going to have a go at making my own beeswax wraps as they are quite expensive to buy. I have the beeswax pellets ready so watch this space although it could be one of those hilarious Pinterest Vs Reality moments).

I will need to stock up on sunflower and pumpkin seeds etc for a nut-free alternative so need to find a refillable station. Apparently there is one at Stanhill Farm and are also available at some farmer's markets. Do you know of anywhere in North West Kent?

If you haven't seen it already doing the rounds on social media then be sure to give this petition from Fairies Against Plastic (love the name!) your support to bring forward the date of banning single use plastics from 2025 to 2020. 


Thanks for reading.

No comments: