In Store

Thursday 7 March 2019

40 Day Plastic Free Challenge

40 Day Plastic-Free Challenge: Day Two

It seems my lent challenge idea was not so novel after all. This article in The Metro dates back to last year but it is probably  even more relevant today as the situation is worsening but on the plus side is being addressed more and more than before by companies and individuals alike. Time for the government to step up now especially reading about the actions taken by other countries around the world. The plastic bag issue is probably the most commonly addressed here in the UK but what about other packaging?


Day two of my challenge is to stop buying shop -bought bread. My family takes in pack lunches to work and school nearly every week-day plus there's the weekend too so we probably go through a loaf or more each week. Unfortunately we cannot recycle these plastic bags very easily at the moment and I do not live near a local bakers where I can nip in with my 100% cotton produce bag asking for a fresh white loaf. My parents lived in a remote hamlet in France for a bit and a local baker in their van would do the rounds with fresh bread of the day...sounds idyllic doesn't it?


Is there a gap in the market for surburban London perhaps? So the other option? Bake them myself.

I've had a bread machine for several years now but only really used it as a nice treat - fresh bread on a Sunday, Hot Cross buns at Easter or Foccacia bread for buffets and picnics for example. It gave up on me a couple of weeks ago and the manufacturer had made it impossible for us to replace the motor belt which was the only thing wrong with it. So that's another conundrum I'm faced with - disposing of electronics but maybe that's for another post.
Anyway back to the bread, I think the main advantages include the unbeatable taste of freshly baked warm bread (obviously), the amazing aroma (another obvious ..even at 6.30am this morning when it woke me up), plus you get to know exactly what is in it and finally no plastic bags to put in the bin. (Note to self - find bulk supplier of yeast rather than all those small sachets.) So are you sold on the idea yet?
The main disadvantages I suppose are timing and planning - no more last minute dashes to the convenience store but if I have all the ingredients in bulk it should not be a problem (crossing my fingers). The other downside is that it does not go as far - no matter how hard I try I cannot cut it thinly enough. So doorstep sandwiches it is.




Tried some wholemeal rolls for a change too today hoping that they'll stay fresh a bit longer than sliced bread.


Join me for Day 3 tomorrow for more zero waste antics. Again would love to hear your stories.

No comments: